We almost made it through without a major snowstorm in NH this year, but as all New Englanders know, October through April is fair game for a wicked big stawm.
1. Have all emergency contact information on hand, including:
- Home and auto insurance company name, policy number, and contact information.
Many insurance companies have both phone and online reporting capabilities. Here is a link to the companies HPM Insurance represents, and claim reporting information. Insurance companies are staffed during regular office hours, but there is typically 24/7 reporting as well for emergencies.
If you have a large claim, such as a tree on your home or a fire, you should call your claim to your company vs. reporting it online. This should help expedite the process.
- Utility information to report or monitor power outages, including:
- Note all critical information on paper. Computers and mobile devices are great for reference and note-taking, but not if there is no power.
2. Ensure essentials are on hand, including:
- food and water
Even if you don’t lose power and the storm does not cause any damage to your home, you may still be stuck should a tree block your only way out.
- windshield washer fluid
- salt for the driveway
- shovels and ice scrapers
- full tank of gas
3. Protect Your Property:
- Move cars into a garage if possible or away from large trees.
- If your home is damaged, you are required to make reasonable and necessary repairs to protect the property from further damage.
If you cannot assist in preventing further damage, reach out to a local contractor or restoration company such as InsurComm at 844-424-9283 or Burke Emergency Restoration at 855-716-2825.
4. Stay safe!
- Ensure you stay at least 30 feet away from downed power lines and contact 911 should you see one. If live it could cause severe injury or death.
- Stay home if possible to allow the snow plowers to do their job with less traffic.
- Use a generator safely.
- Charge mobile devices and any battery backup chargers should the power go out.
How to file a claim as an HPM Insurance Client:
There are two options:
- Contact your insurance company directly to file a claim. For a list of carriers that HPM Insurance represents, visit our File a Claim page. Should you have a claim outside our normal operating hours of Monday – Friday from 8:00 am to 5:00 pm, this is recommended.
- Contact HPM Insurance to file your claim on your behalf. Experiencing a claim is stressful, so you may need some extra guidance. If so, your account executive will be happy to start the process.
Stay safe! ❄️