While the Roaring Fork Valley real estate landscape changes continually, right now homebuyers are facing low inventory in Apsen, Snowmass, and many Downvalley towns.
What can buyers to do find a home during an inventory shortage? We came up with six strategies to put in your homebuying plan.
1. Create a Saved Search Now
If there’s one thing we can’t stress enough during periods of low inventory, it’s to set up a saved search with immediate updates. Just click the link below and follow these steps. Looking for homes during an inventory shortage takes effort. Automate some of the heavy lifting by setting up a saved search that will send homes to you via email. It takes just seconds to set up.
If there’s one thing we can’t stress enough during periods of low inventory, it’s to set up a saved search with immediate updates. It really takes just moments to set up. Just click the link below and follow these steps.
- Start by entering a location.
- Then you can set a search radius and add price points, number of bedrooms and baths, and property type.
- On the results page, select Save Search. You can receive immediate updates—during a housing shortage, that’s the smartest option—or daily, weekly, or monthly.
2. Connect With a Local Real Estate Agent
Our second tip is to work with a local agent who’s fully plugged into a strong community network of sellers and other agents. A local expert is more likely to know about listings that are not part of an MLS, or multiple listing service. These “pocket listings” may not be listed or advertised due to privacy reasons on the part of the seller. A knowledgeable local real estate agent may also know about “coming soon” properties that are not yet entered into an MLS.
Letting your Mason Morse agent know what you’re looking for—and your timeline for buying—will help them keep an eye out for upcoming properties. Our agents and brokers use their historical and ongoing knowledge about Aspen, Snowmass, and the Roaring Fork Valley to serve our clients every day.
Learn more about why you should work with a Mason Morse agent, especially in a tight market. We know where and how to find the perfect buyer, and we know who the sellers are.
3. Share Your Homebuying Criteria
Develop a list of features you want your home to have. Divide the list into “must have” and “optional.” Give those must-have features extra thought. You may want a first-floor master bedroom, but is it a must? Share your homebuying criteria with your agent so they can keep an eye out for properties that fit what you’re looking for.
4. Ask About Expired or Withdrawn Listings
Another strategy is to ask your agent look for expired or withdrawn listings that fit your homebuying criteria. Listings can expire for many reasons. Perhaps the seller didn’t get a good offer or listed during a slow season. Your agent can approach the seller on your behalf to find out if they may still be willing to receive an offer.
5. Ask About Long-Term Rental Properties
Owners who list long-term rentals sometimes sell their properties when the right offer comes along. Renting before buying is another way of dealing with low inventory. Living in a long-term rental puts you in the community where you can act quickly when homes are available. Our brokers and agents know the long-term rental market in the Roaring Fork Valley, including luxury rentals, condo rentals, and ski-in ski-out rentals.
6. Stay on Top of Market Trends
It’s imperative to stay on top of market trends when you’re looking for a home. Keeping informed about Roaring Fork Valley real estate is essential when properties move quickly. We publish four email newsletters no buyer should be without. You can sign up for one or all four.
- HOME Roaring Fork & Colorado River Valleys highlights the Roaring Fork and Colorado River Valleys from Basalt to Battlement Mesa.
- HOME Aspen Snowmass focuses on Aspen Snowmass luxury homes and living.
- Our HOME on the Ranch features Colorado ranches for sale. Our
- Vacation HOME Newsletter shares luxury vacation rentals in Aspen Snowmass.
Insider tip: HOME Roaring Fork & Colorado River Valleys, HOME Aspen Snowmass, and HOME Farms & Ranches include just-listed properties and key real estate market data.