Hello, it’s a cold and wintery day in Michigan, but I am over here feeling all sorts of Spring vibes.
Why, you may ask? Well, today, I am sharing what may be my favorite form of Wallpaper.
The Wall Mural (cue some sort of background music).
After years of swearing off (and swearing at) Wallpaper in any shape or form -I have spent weeks of my life scraping those 80’s borders off), I have fallen head over heels in love with Wallpaper. And Wall Murals specifically.
What is a Wall Mural?
I like to think of a Wall Mural as a customizable counterpart to Wallpaper. Wall Murals are usually digital images from illustrations or photography images that are blown up on a much larger scale than wallpaper patterns allowing for a major “WOW” factor in a space. So because of this, Wall Murals are often used as focal points instead of papering an entire room. Often it is easy to customize a mural to fit the exact dimensions of your wall perfectly, as I did here with my new Mural from Anewall.
*This post contains affiliate links.
Measuring for your Wall Mural.
Anewall made it easy for this tiny wall to be customized. I measured the height and width of the wall in inches, and the customer service person walked me through the rest.
The wall here at our Cottage is a very small 8 x 10, and because I chose a Mural to be used as a visual headboard, the design is centered on the wall.
Installing a Wall Mural.
I promise this is an easy DIY, so don’t be intimidated!
- Line up your tools.
- Wipe down your walls, making sure they are smooth and dust free.
- Remove any outlet covers and set them aside.
- Unroll your mural and number the backs if they are not identified (I numbered mine with a pencil).
- Mix your wallpaper paste (I like this brand).
- Then apply the paste with a brush (This is mine) and fold the bottom and top of the paper to the middle, which is called a book. Let the paper set for a few minutes.
- Now you are ready to apply the first roll. My Mural was a little longer than I need, so I left a 3-inch overhang on the top and the edge (not pictured) to trim once hung. Smooth out any wrinkles in the paper from top to bottom.
- Once you have two strips of paper, use your seam roller to adhere the seams to the wall and together.
- Don’t be afraid to adjust as you go. I bet I adjust 6-7 times before I feel it’s perfect.
Caring for your Wall Mural
I clean most of my Wall Murals with a long-handled sweeper with a microfiber cloth attached. This gets the dust off. If it is scuffed, I wipe it with a damp rag, and if my short-term rental guests have really banged it up, I will very lightly use a magic eraser (this is my own opinion and not those of the wallpaper companies). 🙂
Places to hang a Wall Mural.
I truly believe Wall Murals will work anywhere you want to make a statement. Here are a few places I have used (and LOVED) them.
- Living Room
- Game Room
Here is the living room at one of our Airbnb properties.
And another in our recent Basement into a Game room renovation. Wall Murals can be very graphic in feel. This Mural worked perfectly in our moodier, cozier space.
So what do you think? Are you up for Hanging a Wall Mural in a Bedroom?
I would love to hear your thoughts about wall murals or anything else on your mind. Let me know below in the comments.
Are you following me on Pinterest? I am pinning all kinds of fun things for Spring! Including two new outdoor spaces, I am planning.
Until Next time,